PCNS-hosted ANA group at SF Mint during PPIE
PCNS exists to promote, develop, and foster Numismatics in all its branches along educational, historical, and scientific lines, and to provide opportunities for collectors to share in an organization of mutual interest and good fellowship.
2015 is our Centennial Year!
- History: PCNS was founded in 1915, by Farran Zerbe and a group of San Francisco collectors, when Zerbe came West to supervise the U.S. Mint Exhibit at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. PCNS hosted the ANA Convention in San Francisco that same year. At that time, there were no other coin organizations west of the Mississippi. A full century later, PCNS continues to be a gathering place for studious numismatists in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Meetings: Our regular monthly meetings in San Francisco feature presentations on numismatic topics ranging from US coins, tokens, and medals to Ancient, Medieval, and Modern World coinage, currency, and exonumia.
- Research & Publishing: PCNS has sponsored an annual Papers contest for numismatic writers for several decades, publishing the submissions to our members. Recent papers can now be read on this website (2012 Papers & 2013 Papers).
- Membership: Members receive information on our meetings, programs, medals, and copies of our publications. Many of the most illustrious names in numismatics have been members of the Society. Consider adding your name to the list.
We invite you to take part in the traditions of the first numismatic group of the American West!
California Non-profit Corporation No. C0447260
All persons with an interest in numismatics are invited!
PCNS meetings include an educational program about some area of numismatics. Members should consult The Bulletin for meeting details. The Bulletin is emailed to members, and then posted here as a PDF a few days before each meeting.
- Next Event: Centennial Banquet — Saturday, September 26
Ticket holders see next section of this page for details
Ticket sales have ended for this event.
Remember… the fourth Wednesday is not always the last Wednesday of the month! Meetings near holidays may be rescheduled. There is no regular monthly meeting in June, when we hold the Annual PCNS Banquet. Contact us to check any meeting date.
2015 is our 100th Anniversary — medals, special events, etc.
Centennial Awards Banquet — Saturday, September 26th
Centennial Awards Banquet
1920 PCNS Banquet — photo from the PCNS Archives
2015 is our 100th Anniversary, and we've planned a special banquet evening event to celebrate with our members, families, and friends.
- When: Saturday, September 26, 7pm
- Where: The Argonaut Hotel
495 Jefferson Street
at Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco
- Tickets: Advance Purchase required (ticket sales closed September 15th)
The Argonaut Hotel has 4-Diamond-rated food, and we've planned several special items this year:
- Special Souvenir Program Booklet
- Annual Papers Awards
- Initial distribution of our Centennial Medals
- David J. McCarthy, of Kagin’s Numismatics, will speak on the Saddle Ridge Coin Hoard of 2013.
- And probably much more…
Board of Governors
- President: Herb Miles
- Vice President: Dan Hipple
- Recorder: Bill Hyder
Jerry F. Schimmel
- Past President: Stephen Huston (a.k.a. the webmaster)
PCNS officers operate under the Constitution and Bylaws.
PCNS Official Mailing Address
PO Box 475656
San Francisco CA 94147–5656
Online Payments to PCNS
Use PayPal to make payments to PCNS at:
The PCNS Webmaster can be reached at:
This is a volunteer position, so allow several days for a response.
PCNS Invites You to Join
The Society welcomes and encourages membership by numismatists of all interests.
- Membership requirements are stated in the PCNS Constitution: Any person of good character who is interested in the objects and activities of the Society and who agrees to abide by the rules shall be eligible for membership.
- Dues are $20 per calendar year and must be submitted with your application.
- Dues include all new publications, monthly bulletins, meeting announcements, and any other rights of membership.
Applications for Membership
Use the PDF Application Form, or provide the following information with your $20 dues payment:
Full Name, Mailing Address, City, State, and Zip Code (or country and mailing code), your Email address (for receiving meeting notices & The Bulletin). Your Numismatic Specialty or Interest is optional, but please let us know how you heard about PCNS.
Mail your completed application with $20 dues to:
PO Box 475656
San Francisco CA 94147-5656
- Monthly Bulletins
The PCNS Bulletin is published monthly as an emailed PDF to advise members of current activities nd meetings.
- Annual Papers
The Society issues its annual research papers to current members, and we are now making our 2012 Papers and 2013 Papers available online. New papers are submitted annually via the PCNS Papers Contest, which is open to all numismatic writers, not just PCNS members. Please view the PDFs for Papers Rules and our Copyright Policy.
- Occassional Publications
Special publications are prepared and offered for sale to the public.
The Old Streets of San Francisco:
Early Street Names on Some Brass Tokens — by Jerry F. Schimmel
"Mr Schimmel, the expert in early trade tokens from San Francisco, takes us on a journey to selected stops in this city's history through these interesting bits of metal. The sites selected are on Streets that have been renamed or have disappeared altogether. Through the tokens that establishments on these streets used, we can hold a tangible reminder of what once was. Highly recommended for enthusiasts of San Francisco history as well as for collectors of tokens and exonumia." — on-line book review
1993—First Printing, English, Cardcover (8.5 x 5.5 saddlestiched), 42 pages, Index of street name changes, illustrated: 21 tokens, 14 location photos, 9 maps. PCNS Monograph 1, ASIN: B0006PBHCO
Stock is extremely limited, and there are no plans to reprint this title. While our supply lasts, postpaid within the USA.
Order directly from PCNS at $15–@
PO Box 475656
San Francisco CA 94147-5656
PCNS 100th Anniversary — 1915–2015 Centennial Medal
[die proofs shown]
- Obverse: PCNS 1915/2015 in fields of modified PPIE commemorative design
- Reverse: Seal of PCNS (new high-relief die)
- Dimensions: Octagonal 41mm
- Mintage limited to subscription orders received by June 30, 2015.
This ordering deadline has passed, and orders are closed.
- Planned release/delivery date: September 26 2015
1000th Meeting Medal (issued July 24, 1999)
- Obverse: Bust of Farran Zerbe, small signature on shoulder: DUREK. Lettering around: 1000TH MEETING – JULY 24, 1999 / • PACIFIC
COAST NUMISMATIC SOCIETY •
Lettering in left field: FARRAN / ZERBE / FOUNDER / 1915
- Reverse: Official Seal of PCNS (1975 die)
- Edge: Plain, Medallic Art Co. abbrev. incuse: MACO
- Dimensions: Octagonal, 40mm edge to edge, 42.5mm point to point
- Mintage: 5 gold, 200 bronze, and 200 silver (of which 136 were distributed and 64 were melted).
This medal will not be restruck, but a few bronzes are still available.
- Bronze Medals: $12 per medal (postpaid within the USA). Send full payment with your order to PCNS.