PCNS 1915 event. View 2015 event
PCNS exists to promote, develop, and foster Numismatics in all its branches along educational, historical, and scientific lines, and to provide opportunities for collectors to share in an organization of mutual interest and good fellowship.
- History: PCNS was founded in 1915, by Farran Zerbe and a group of San Francisco collectors, when Zerbe came West to supervise the U.S. Mint Exhibit at the Panama-Pacific International Exposition. PCNS hosted the ANA Convention in San Francisco that same year. At that time, there were no other coin organizations west of the Mississippi. Now in our second century, PCNS continues to be a gathering place for studious numismatists in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Meetings: Our regular monthly meetings in San Francisco feature presentations on numismatic topics ranging from US coins, tokens, and medals to Ancient, Medieval, and Modern World coinage, currency, and exonumia.
- Research & Publishing: PCNS has sponsored an annual Papers contest for numismatic writers for several decades, publishing the submissions to our members. PCNS Papers can now be read on this website:
2012 Papers | 2013 Papers | 2014–15 Papers
- Membership: Members receive information on our meetings, programs, medals, and copies of our publications. Many of the most illustrious names in numismatics have been members of the Society. Consider adding your name to the list.
We invite you to take part in the traditions of the first numismatic group of the American West!
CA Nonprofit Corp# C0447260
All persons with an interest in numismatics are invited!
PCNS monthly meetings include an educational program about some area of numismatics. Members should consult The Bulletin for meeting details. The Bulletin is emailed to members, and then posted here as a PDF a few days before each meeting.
- Next Event:
Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at 7:30pm
Monthly Meeting — Speaker: William D. Hyder
The Santa Cruz Venetian Water Carnival 1895-1896
- Location: San Francisco — Fort Mason Center, 2 Marina Blvd, San Francisco, CA 94123, in the SF Marina District. Entry at Buchanan & Marina Blvd. (Directions) Meetings are held in Bldg C. Check the Fort Mason calendar posted in building entry areas for the room number.
- Date: 4th Wednesday of the month, which is not always the last Wednesday (exceptions will be posted here.)
- Time: Regular monthly meetings start at 7:30 pm and last about 11/2 hours. Regular meetings are preceded by a Board of Governors meeting at 7pm in the same room. Everyone is welcome to attend both!
- Show-and-Tell topics: always your choice, but items with any connection to the topic, however tenuous, are especially encouraged, along with early PCNS memorabilia, PPIE goodies, and SF history items. Bring new acquisitions if nothing else fits.
- Drawings: coins, tokens, medals, collectible paper, numismatic books — who knows what will be on offer.
- Admission is Free!
- Free Parking is available: Fort Mason charges $2/hour for parking in their inner lot, but entirely Free parking is available in the public Marina lot adjacent to Fort Mason's paid lot.
- Everyone is welcome!
Future Meeting Dates
4th Wednesday Evening of the Month — Board meets at 7pm, Regular Members Meetings begin at 7:30
- Aug. 24 2016
- Sep. 28 2016
- Oct. 26 2016
- Nov. 23 2016 — Yes, the evening before Thanksgiving Day
- Dec. 28 2016 — Holiday Celebration and election of officers
Remember… the fourth Wednesday is not always the last Wednesday of every month! There is no regular monthly meeting in June, when we hold the Annual PCNS Luncheon/Banquet. Contact us to check any meeting date.
Contacts & Officers
Board of Governors
- President: William Hyder
- Vice President: Mary Lannin
- Recorder: Stephen Huston
- Past President: Herb Miles
PCNS officers operate under the PCNS Constitution & Bylaws, which are available, along with official Minutes, on our Documents webpage.
Email PCNS via the Webmaster
This is a volunteer position, so allow several days for a response.
PCNS Official Mailing Address
PO Box 475656
San Francisco CA 94147–5656
Make online payments to PCNS via PayPal using this email account:
PCNS Invites You to Join
The Society welcomes and encourages membership by numismatists of all interests.
- Membership requirements are stated in the PCNS Constitution: Any person of good character who is interested in the objects and activities of the Society and who agrees to abide by the rules shall be eligible for membership.
- Dues are $20 per calendar year and must be submitted with your application.
(see the Contacts section regarding online payments)
- Dues include all new publications, monthly bulletins, meeting announcements, and any other rights of membership.
Applications for Membership
Use the PDF Application Form, or provide the following information with your $20 dues payment:
Full Name, Mailing Address, City, State, and Zip Code (or country and mailing code), your Email address (for receiving meeting notices & The Bulletin). Your Numismatic Specialty or Interest is optional, but please let us know how you heard about PCNS.
Send your completed application with $20 dues to:
PO Box 475656
San Francisco CA 94147-5656
- Monthly Bulletins
The PCNS Bulletin is published monthly as an emailed PDF to inform members of current activities and meeting plans.
- Annual Papers
The Society issues its annual research papers to current members, and we are now making our Papers Publications available online:
New papers are submitted annually via the PCNS Papers Contest, which is open to all numismatic writers, not just PCNS members. Please view the PDFs for Papers Rules and our Copyright Policy.
- Occassional Publications
Special publications are prepared and offered for sale to the public.
The Old Streets of San Francisco:
Early Street Names on Some Brass Tokens — by Jerry F. Schimmel
"Mr Schimmel, the expert in early trade tokens from San Francisco, takes us on a journey to selected stops in this city's history through these interesting bits of metal. The sites selected are on Streets that have been renamed or have disappeared altogether. Through the tokens that establishments on these streets used, we can hold a tangible reminder of what once was. Highly recommended for enthusiasts of San Francisco history as well as for collectors of tokens and exonumia." — on-line book review
1993—First Printing, English, Cardcover (8.5 x 5.5 saddlestiched), 42 pages, Index of street name changes, illustrated: 21 tokens, 14 location photos, 9 maps. PCNS Monograph 1, ASIN: B0006PBHCO
Stock is extremely limited, and there are no plans to reprint this title. While our supply lasts, postpaid within the USA.
Order directly from PCNS at $15–@
Both mail and online payments and orders are accepted. (see Contacts section above for PayPal details)
PCNS 100th Anniversary — 1915–2015 Centennial Medal
[digital die proofs shown]
Obv: PCNS 1915/2015 in fields of modified PPIE commemorative design
Rev: PCNS Seal
Octagonal 41mm (broadstruck)
Silver and Copper limited to prepaid orders, Brass to banquet sponsors and attendees.
All metals SOLD OUT